Sr Specialist - Database Administration
Travel Involved: 0-10%
Work Schedule: Mon - Friday
Job Type: Full Time
Average Hours per Week: 40
Category: Information Technology
The Senior Data Base Administration Specialist will provide management oversight of problems and issues pertaining to the Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and platform operating environment (e.g., Microsoft Windows) which run RDBMS’. The Senior DBA Specialist will facilitate application development and client problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency. All duties are to be performed in accordance with departmental and The Venetian Casino Resort’s policies, practices, and procedures.
- Manage RDBMS performance monitoring and tuning:
- Closely monitor performance, identify problems and implements solutions, and ensure the database is running at optimum speed and efficiency
- Ensure that database backup/recovery environment responds quickly to refresh data, verify implementation of correct backup strategy, develop recovery procedures, and support recovery from loss of data caused by user or system error
- Oversee Installation and upgrade of RDBMS and related products:
- Keep RDBMS at current release and maintenance levels, install supporting products, and provide current, stable production and development environments.
- Reorganize database structures as needed:
- Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or de-fragment database table spaces, tables, and indexes; and provide an efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance
- Perform application refreshes on request: Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including exporting, dropping, creating, and importing prescheduled time to minimize impact; and provide to application development staff an optimal development environment with current dataProvide assistance in database design as needed:
Specific Position Requirements
- years SQL Server DBA experience - both Administration and Development in a large corporate environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Strong SQL Server 2005/2000 Administration including installation, service packs and hot fixes, backup / recovery, log shipping, performance tuning, etc.
- SQL Server Development experience including stored proc / trigger development, ETL (DTS/SSIS), performance tuning. •
- Thorough understanding of the relational database model and solid theoretical knowledge. ability to see the big picture and conceptualize and document creative solutions. •
- First-hand prior experience in designing, modeling, developing, and supporting large RDBMSs (or MDDBMSs or ODBMSs)
- Extensive experience in logical and physical database design, hands-on data modeling of relational database techniques.
Work Environment Requirements
Work in a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment. Maintain physical stamina and proper mental attitude while dealing effectively with guests, management, team members, and outside contacts while working under pressure and meeting deadlines. Must be able to frequently move freely about the office, maintain manual dexterity to access computer via computer keyboard and operate office equipment, such as telephones, copiers, fax machine, etc., withstand various activities such as frequent walking, sitting for long periods and withstand prolonged standing, stretching, bending and kneeling without restriction. Be able to work indoors and be exposed to various environmental factors such as, but not limited to CRT fatigue, noise, dust, cigarette smoke, and be able to access all areas of the property.