Police Dispatcher Part-Time (Temporary, Hourly)
Job Title: Police Dispatcher Part-Time (Temporary, Hourly)
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $22.01 - $26.76 Hourly
Job Type: Temporary Part-Time
Location: Police Department, 8085 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA, 91942, California
Print Job Information|Apply
Position Summary Benefits Supplemental Questions
This is an at-will position and requires availability to work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays. An active list will be established and used continuously to staff existing vacancies.
To perform a variety of functions involved in receiving, evaluation, prioritizing and relaying calls for emergency and non-emergency public safety assistance; to dispatch appropriate units and coordinate response of emergency personnel; to operate a variety of telecommunications equipment including radio, telephone and computer aided dispatch systems; and to perform a wide variety of specialized clerical duties involved in the preparation, maintenance, and release of materials related to law enforcement activities.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Receive emergency calls from the public requesting police or other emergency service; determine nature, location and priority of calls and dispatch units accordingly; transfer calls to appropriate agency in accordance with established procedures.
- Obtain and dispatch other support services including helicopter support, tactical teams, bomb squad, canine, public works, fire department, medical response, highway patrol and border patrol.
- Maintain contact with all units on assignment through computer aided dispatch; maintain status and location of police field units; maintain computer records of traffic stops and other officer initiated activity.
- Operate a variety of public safety communications equipment including a multi-channel radio, 911 emergency telephone equipment, computer aided dispatch systems, instant recall recorders, and paging and intercom systems. Type minimum of 40 nwpm.
- Operate computer terminals and teletype machine to enter, modify, and retrieve data such as stolen and recovered property, towed and stolen vehicles, missing and unidentified persons, citations, field interviews, driver license and vehicle registration information, and warrants on wanted persons; compose and transmit messages to other agencies.
- Retrieve information from State and National computer networks regarding wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, stolen vehicles, restraining orders, criminal histories, parolees and other related information; relay information to officers in the field.
- Perform minor routine maintenance on department equipment including dispatch and general office machines; request service and repairs as necessary.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in communications, public safety dispatch or a related field. Possess a valid typing certificate for 40 nwpm.
At least two years current or recent experience in a law enforcement agency as an emergency call taker AND radio operator (must be law enforcement dispatching). Experience in operation of a computer aided dispatch system (CAD) is required.
Interested applicants must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire. This position is open until the needs of the City are met so apply immediately. Candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the City will be invited to participate in the examination process consisting of an appraisal interview with LMPD staff. Top candidates from the interview process will be invited to a 2-hour Criticall performance aptitude test. Eligible candidates will be notified when testing dates have been established.
NOTE: Following appraisal interviews, successful candidates must undergo a polygraph examination and successfully pass a background investigation. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment medical evaluation and psychological evaluation. The medical evaluation includes an alcohol/drug screen.