Chief Security Officer
Join the revolution! Avalara Inc.,one of the fastest growing technology companies in the United States, is seeking a Chief Security Officer.
Recently recognized by Inc. Magazine and other national publications, Avalara is the leader in web-based sales and use tax automation services and has experienced explosive growth since its inception in 2004. Based on Bainbridge Island, WA, and with offices across the U.S. and overseas, Avalara offers exciting opportunities in numerous fields.
Job Summary: Are you passionate about information risk management and have an entrepreneurial spirit? Avalara is looking for a Chief Security Officer to lead the Information Risk Management function for the company, to include responsibility for overall risk management strategy, compliance and overall application, and infrastructure security architecture. As the company’s senior security officer, this person also has enterprise-level responsibility for all data/information security policies, standards, evaluations, roles, and corporate awareness. The Chief Security Officer will work with company executives, users, technical groups, and a security advisory committee to advise the company Board of Directors in the implementation of a Risk Management Strategy. The individual must be a results-oriented person who can achieve tangible improvements in the corporate risk management arena. Excellent writing and communications skills are a must, as well as, proven risk management leadership experience.
The Chief Security Officer will be responsible for directing the activities of the Risk Management function.
Responsibilities Will Include
• Work closely with corporate executives and business managers to understand corporate requirements related to security and regulatory compliance, and to map those requirements to current security projects.
• Develop, oversee implementation and manage the overall enterprise process for security strategy and associated architecture.
• Develop and implement policies, process, standards, guidelines, and metrics related to Risk Management.
• Oversee the continuous monitoring and protection of facilities, personnel and information systems. Evaluate suspected security breaches and recommend corrective actions.
• Serve as the enterprise focal point for security incident response planning and execution.
• Define and implement an ongoing Avalara Risk Assessment program, which will define, identify, and classify critical assets, assess threats and vulnerabilities regarding those assets, and implement safeguard recommendations.
• Establish and monitor formal certification programs regarding enterprise security standards relating to the planned acquisition and/or procurement of new applications or technologies.
• Assist in the review of applications and/or technology environments during the development or acquisitions process to (a) assure compliance with corporate security policies and directions and (b) assist in the overall integration process regarding Avalara’s own technology environment.
• Oversee the development of, and be the enterprise champion of, a corporate security awareness and training program.
• Manage security functions related to corporate information systems and data centers, working closely with the CTO and COO.
• Evaluate changes to the corporate environment for security impact and present findings to management.
The Chief Security Officer will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Candidate Will Have
• A college degree (BA/BS), or equivalent work experience.
• Excellent staff management skills.
• Ability to interface with top management
• Ten to fifteen years (10 - 15) years of risk management experience
• Experience with business continuity planning, auditing, and risk management, as well as contract and vendor negotiation.
• Experience with building a controls based risk management program
Other Desired Qualities Include
• Development of a controls based risk management program
• Developing security practices as both a people and technical problem
• Standards-based architecture with an understanding of how to get there, including compliance monitoring and enforceability
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.
Keyword: secruity, risk management, auditing, continuity planning