Technical Support Engineer
Headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley in San Jose California, Public Wireless has historically focused on creative and alternative siting methodologies to offer cutting-edge and advanced wireless solutions and services to its customers. This has led to Public Wireless becoming the first to commercially deploy outdoor IP small form factor basestations in North America as early as 2006. Continuing to position itself at the forefront of the evolution of field optimized small cell technologies, and leveraging its expertise in scalable deployment methodologies, Public Wireless is now leading the way offering designs of modular Intelligent Cell Platforms which are very small form factor and highly efficient 3G/4G standards compliant outdoor hardened IP RAN base stations. The platform designs can serve neutral host or service provider dedicated applications. The solutions include uniform building blocks” optimized for expansion and scalable deployments. These reconfigurable platforms allow (neutral host or service provider) operators to lower their CAPEX and most importantly, they help to improve OPEX efficiency.
The primary function of this position is to deliver world class technical support and troubleshooting for small-cell deployments in the areas of backhaul, installation, commissioning, and ongoing site maintenance for all Public Wireless customers.
- Work with clients and customers, cell technicians, and RF engineers to troubleshoot technical issues for small-cell wireless systems
- Configure, troubleshoot, integrate, and commission BTS hardware and plumbing
- Utilize spectrum analyzer or BTS analyzer for troubleshooting and sweep testing
- Evaluate, recommend and design the most suitable backhaul solution for each deployment using Ethernet, cable, DSL, fiber, or microwave solutions.
- Work with site development personnel to ensure that the recommended backhaul solutions are supported per site location
- Work in concert with RF engineers and others at headquarters to coordinate effective test plans and test schedules with customers
- Maintain accurate records of field activities in order to comply with contractual obligations
- Perform field measurement, data analysis, and generate reports
- Provide technical support for BTS calibration and analysis reports
- Work on process improvement and documentation - Analyze existing technical processes and prepare formal documentation
- 3+ years experience in a wireless technical support or field operations role
- Working knowledge of base station testing, commissioning and troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of IP networking technologies specifically around Layer 2/3
- A good understanding of 2G, 3G, and 4G wireless technologies and protocols.
- Experience installing and configuring Wi-Fi APs and mesh networks is a plus.
- Small cell experience preferred, including picocells, femtocells, and microcells.
- Possess a good understanding and working knowledge of the various backhaul solutions
- Experience using spectrum analyzers, BTS analyzers, Network analyzers, and various field test equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication & presentation skills
- Common sense, resourcefulness; excellent sense of direction
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
- BSEE or equivalent formal training in electrical, mechanical, industrial or other engineering discipline
- A passion for customer delight
- Never say die approach to troubleshooting
- Quick learner, self-motivated, attention to detail, and strong customer service orientation
- Cross-functional and inclusive style
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal relationship skills are a must
- Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Company offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability and 401(k).