Title: Lead/Kindergarten Teacher
Department: Childhelp Cummings Community Center
Location: Phoenix, AZ
CEO and Co-Founder SaraO’Meara and President and Co-Founder Yvonne Fedderson started Childhelp in 1959, establishing it as a leading national non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of child abuse and neglect and at-risk children. Childhelp focuses on advocacy, prevention, treatment and community outreach.
The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline, 1-800-4-A-CHILD, operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and receives calls from throughout the United States, Canada, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam. Childhelp’s programs and services also include residential treatment services (villages); children’s advocacy centers; therapeutic foster care; group homes and child abuse prevention, education and training. Childhelp also created the National Day of Hopethat mobilizes people across America to join the fight against child abuse. For more information about Childhelp, please visit the website atwww.childhelp.org.
About Childhelp Cummings Community Center
As it celebrates more than 15 years of service to the community, the Childhelp H.K. Cummings Community Center (Cummings) remains true to its mission of promoting and encouraging the spiritual, emotional and physical well being of children, young adults and families in need.
Cummings was founded in 1993 as a partnership between the Pendergast Elementary School District, Southwest Leadership Foundation and Phoenix Urban League to create a Head Start preschool program for low-income families in the area. Cummings and its dedicated staff quickly became a community resource and link to serve a wide-range of other needs.
Responsible for creating a flexible kindergarten and before and after school program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth through establishing effective rapport with students, motivating students to develop skills, and establishing positive relationships with parents and other staff members.
This program is located in the Littleton School District in Avondale, Arizona. The position would require the ability to work the Kindergarten Enrichment Program and the After-School Program.
- Demonstrates teaching skills and knowledge in assigned academic areas, utilizing course of study and other appropriate learning activities adopted by the District
- Instructs students in basic subject matter
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials
- Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt to the learning needs of each student and to best utilize available classroom time for instructional purposes
- Prepares current schedules, lesson plans, and seating charts for use by a guest teacher
- Evaluates students’ academic and social growth, maintains academic and attendance records, and prepares progress reports while maintaining the confidentiality of each student’s record
- Establishes and maintains lines of communication with students and parents on a regular basis; communicates with parents in a respectful manner to discuss students’ progress and particular needs or difficulties encountered in the school program
- Diagnoses student needs and uses appropriate methods to provide instruction to meet those needs and assist students in solving learning and attitude problems
- Seeks the assistance of specialists or other resource persons to ascertain learning difficulties of students and appropriate services to meet their needs
- Maintains a learning atmosphere by creating an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers to meet the physical and psychological requirements of the students
- Maintains professional competence by participating in classes, workshops, and other growth activities
- Instructs assigned classes in locations and at the times designated by the Manager and reports for duty and other assignments on time
- Submits all reports and attendance rosters in a timely manner
- Collects and submits client payments as assigned by management
- Check mailbox and emails on a regular basis;
- Establishes and maintains management and control of students in the classroom or under supervision, including the following:
- Develops and explains rules for classroom discipline and consistently maintains discipline in the classroom;
- Takes reasonable precautions to protect students’ safety, welfare and organizational property;
- Disciplines students in a fair and impartial manner, following program policies regarding the rights of students.
- Attends required staff meetings and participates in extracurricular school activities, internal work teams as assigned
- Assists in implementing program policies and procedures
- Assists other staff as needed and requested, including assisting other Teachers for the purpose of implementing instructional sessions
- Collaborates with staff, parents, and various community agencies for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcomes, developing solutions, and planning instructional sessions
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment, and adhering to company policies
- Performs other related duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or other related field highly preferred
- 3 months of child care experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Able to produce evidence of a negative TB clearance within the last 12 months and proof of current immunizations
- Ability to use sound judgment in communicating and leading staff and children