Cash/remittance Processor (part-time)
About Our Organization
Partners HealthCare is an integrated health care system, founded by Brigham and Women s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital that offers patients a continuum of coordinated and high-quality care. In addition to its two academic medical centers, Partners system includes community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home health and long-term care services, and other health care entities. Partners HealthCare is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community. Partners is one of the nation s leading biomedical research organizations and is a principal teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. Partners HealthCare is a non-profit organization. We have opportunities in Finance, Information Systems, Human Resources and many other areas that work behind the scenes in support of the Partners mission.
- This is a part-time 20 hours per week position.*
- The Cash/Remittance Processor reports to the manager of the Cash/Remittance Processing Unit. The Cash/Remittance Processor is responsible for processing the daily lockboxes and posting electronic and manual remittances for all payers on Medi-Tech, Sorian, BICS, PARS, CPSI and PATCOM billing systems. Both electronic and manual remittances are worked by posting transaction codes and other information to accounts, and also by taking the required next action to resolve the account. The Cash/Remittance Processor is responsible for all payer remittances. This individual works closely with the Senior Cash/Remittance Processor and Cash/Remittance Supervisors, to ensure all remittance work is completed timely and department deadlines are met. In addition to working remittances, the Cash/Remittance Processor works BICS/PARS Payment Queue reports and CT Vision Paid Pool reports parallel to the last remittance worked. This individual also reports all rejection code issues and remittance system issues to the Senior Cash Remittance Process or Cash/Remittance Supervisors.
- Breakdown and Reconcile Lockboxes by hospital and payer.
- Batches checks and create batch headers in appropriate patient accounts system (i.e. Bics, Pars, Patcom ).
- Processes Credit Cards through the Point of Sales Device and post to accounts. Reconcile postings to POS Device batch totals.
- Post payments, contractual allowances and rejection codes as needed, and reconcile batch.
- Review account history and transaction information for accounts listed on third party remittances to determine appropriate action required, including Manual COB.
- Identify co-pay, coinsurance and deductible amounts that must be manually billed, and copy the account information from the remittance advice for the secondary billing staff.
- Post other information to accounts, such as informational codes and remittance comments, as appropriate.
- Decipher information from paper remits, reporting or account comments to move account balances to the appropriate insurance and change financial class, as needed.
- Determine next action required to resolve open balances after all codes are posted, including billing the next payer or the patient.
- Work in a Microsoft Access database to determine next actions for denials for each account.
- Files batches daily and maintain batch log to pass to Imaging Dept.
- Provide cross coverage for other team members as required.
- Consistently posts 350 transactions daily. Must regularly post 500 transactions to advance to Senior Cash/Remittance Processor.
- Work BICS/PARS payment queue reports and CT Vision PATCOM and BICS paid pool reports for all assigned financial classes on a weekly basis, to ensure all accounts have been worked through the last remittance processed.
- Work kickout and Worklist reports to manually process any accounts that cannot be processed by the legacy systems.
- Communicate all identified remittance issues or system issues that arise to the department Senior Processor or Supervisor.
- Report new denial codes or transaction codes not mapped in the legacy systems to the department Senior Processor or Supervisor.
- Work on special projects as assigned, to remedy payer and system remittance problems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to use problem solving skills to identify, investigate and resolve production issues.
- Excellent keyboard skills are required.
- Proficiency in PC skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Access programs is required.
- Previous experience with hospital billing systems is preferred.
- Familiarity with Insurance terminology and language is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task is a must.
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work is required.
- Ability to meet production deadlines and productivity goals in high volume, fast paced environment is required.
- Must be able to train and become skilled in retrieving documents utilizing imaging equipment.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and within a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees throughout the PHS network.
- Willingness to learn additional computer skills.
- Knowledge of HIPAA Privacy Policies.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 1-2 years of general office experience required.
- 1-2 years of active hospital patient accounting experience required.
- Certified Billing program certificate desirable.
- Previous experience with Third Party payment processing, strongly preferred.
Partners HealthCare System is an Equal Opportunity Employer