2013 Internship Opportunity - Construction Management
Title: 2013 Internship Opportunity - Construction Management
Location: MI-Grand Rapids
Other Locations: MI-Grand Rapids
Meijer is seeking candidates for summer internship opportunities in our corporate Construction division. Join our program to get experience in your field while also learning about the retail industry and the breath of available career opportunities. Meijer Construction manages all building projects including new stores, gas stations distribution centers, renovations and a variety of miscellaneous capital projects. The internship program will involve interaction with design, engineering and contracting resources in addition to various partnership teams within Meijer.
Construction Internship Opportunities Might Include The Following Representative Activities
- Pre-Construction Activities - Review of proposed drawings, specifications and scopes of work for accuracy, value engineering opportunities, etc. Assist in creating bid packages, schedules, etc. for sourcing of construction projects, field checks, participate in pre-bid meetings, contract award conferences, etc.
- Construction Activities - Construction site visits to monitor progress against schedule, quality checks, evaluate project conditions, cleanliness, safety, etc. and create project report to document. Participate in punchlist events and follow-up to completion with contractors.
- Closeout Activities - Review contractor billings for accuracy and compliance, secure closeout documentation from contractors and suppliers, initiative warranty protocol.
- Some travel to various construction projects is expected.
Specific Qualifications Include
- Progress toward a bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Facilities Management, Architecture, Engineering or a related field, Preference for Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 grads.
- Permanent work authorization in the United States (US citizen or permanent resident)
- Ability to work in Grand Rapids, Michigan for Summer 2013 (housing and transportation are the responsibility of the student)
- Valid and current driver's license
- Ability to read blueprints, specifications, etc.
- Familiarity with building codes
- General understanding of commercial construction activities
- Familiarity with OSHA / safety practices on construction sites
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools and applications including Word, Project, Excel, Access, etc.