A Whelan Firefighter must represent Whelan's 10 Core Values of Truth-Telling, Promise-Keeping, Respect, Loyalty, Empowerment, Discipline, Leadership, Flexibility, Quality Assurance, and Results while performing the following duties;
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform fire prevention, fire suppression, rescue duties and act as Firefighter. Employees in this classification perform highly skilled, technical level work. Position is responsible for providing life and property protection. Responds to emergency fire, rescue and medical incidents; provides support functions, including vehicle and equipment maintenance, emergency responses, records and reporting duties, and emergency medical treatment including but not limited to medical emergencies, and trauma emergencies. Plans, organizes, directs and controls fire/rescue and medical service functions within applicable company policies, laws, codes, rules and regulations. The following are examples of duties that may be required:
- Provides fire suppression, rescue and emergency medical services for customer;
- Acts as a first responder to all types of emergency situations;
- May from time to time be assigned primary duties as an emergency medical technician;
- Responds to all rescue calls;
- Ensures that equipment is fully prepared and functional at all times;
- Performs general maintenance and upkeep of apparatus, equipment and fire station;
- Performs and documents required equipment inspections as assigned;
- Participates in preventative maintenance on fire apparatus, and station maintenance;
- Participates in pre-fire planning, fire prevention inspections, fire prevention and fire safety education;
- Prepares various reports and other documents;
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
Knowledge of: emergency medical care up to the First Responder level, fire suppression and rescue practices, fire prevention, principles, methods, and practices; local codes related to emergencies; state statutes, city ordinances, and criminal law; and standard office practices and procedures.
Skill/Ability to: perform fire suppression and rescue activities, pre-hospital emergency medical care up to the First Responder level of certification, operate computers, including word processing and spreadsheet software; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public; develop, organize, motivate, and effectively utilize staff; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; read and interpret manuals, policies, and other documents; and operate fire suppression equipment, operate medical equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing for the purpose of public interaction and report writing.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standard.
- Neat and professional appearance.
- Friendly and professional demeanor.
- Ability to providing quality customer service.
- Ability to supervise the mitigation of typical and crisis situations efficiently and effectively at client site.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to