Assistant Meat Manager
The Meat Assistant Manager directs and supervises all functions of the meat department in the absence of the Meat Manager.
Work hours include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility in store assignment is also required. Handling large sums of cash and closing the store each night in compliance with company standards is required.
Essential Job Functions
- Directs and manages all functions and activities of the Meat Department in the absence of Meat Manager.
- Provides outstanding customer service and maintains a positive work environment.
- Properly wraps, scales and labels product; cuts and trims all merchandise according to customer standards.
- Follows and enforces conformity to Company recipes.
- Helps to manage labor costs and reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
- Monitors temperature of cases, shelves and storage areas and reports any failures to the Store Manager.
- Follows maintenance and sanitation procedures established by Sprouts for coolers and freezers; reports problems to Store Manager.
- Follows and enforces Sprouts' Fresh-at-4 Program, ensuring proper rotation and organization of product and removing out-of-code items.
- Ensures compliance with all safety, health, and Weights and Measures regulations; assists in maintaining all equipment in safe working condition.
- Assists with inventory and ordering; enforces and follows department practices regarding the receiving, stocking and unloading of product to ensure freshness and quality.
- Maintains knowledge of weekly ad items; gives customers direction of product location throughout the store.
- Maintains excellent communication with Meat Manager at all times.
- Directly participates in on-the-job training efforts in the department.
- Performs duties of staff as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 2 years of meat cutting experience; knowledge of "all natural" meat programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of gross margins and labor percentages.
- Reliable and dependable; friendly and outgoing.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback; able to follow directions.
- Strong orientation to detail and analytical skills.
- Solid problem solving skills and decisiveness.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including nights.
- Proven leadership ability to build, motivate and maintain staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Appropriate food handler's certificate/card.
- Able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and to delegate effectively.
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft Office Software including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; and extreme temperatures.
- Fast paced working environment.
- Requires vision to enable working with sharp knives and equipment (i.e., band saw, grinder, sausage maker, box cutter, wrapping machine, and tenderizer).
- Moderate lifting and bending, kneeling and squatting with heavy loads up to 90 lbs.
- Able to stand for long periods of time; manual dexterity to wrap and package product up to 30 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Sprouts' management reserves the right to amend and change d