Assistant Store Manager
The Assistant Store Manager assists in managing daily operations of an assigned store. This position plans and prepares work schedules, supervises employees, and ensures compliance with established security, sales, and record keeping procedures and practices. In addition to support of overall store operations, the Assistant Store Manager has responsibility for all perishable departments, including Bakery, Deli, Meat, and Produce. In the absence of the Store Manager, assumes complete responsibility for all phases of store operations. Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility in store assignment is also required. Handling large sums of cash in compliance with company standards is required.
Essential Job Functions
- Greets customers and maintains good customer relations.
- In addition to support of overall store operations, has responsibility for all perishable departments, including Bakery, Deli, Meat, and Produce.
- Manages the perishable inventories by tracking weekly sales reports and orders product so as to meet customer requirements and the company's gross profit goals.
- In the absence of the Store Manager, called upon to assume complete responsibility for all phases of store operations.
- Looks for areas where improvements in service may be required; implements processes, procedures and/or changes to address these issues.
- Provides constructive suggestions and encouragement, sets performance expectations, provides honest feedback, and identifies assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Develops and implements merchandising plans, including creating attractive displays, merchandises new items, sales items and does promotional tie-ins, in order to meet the sales and profit objectives of the store and the departments.
- Supports Store Manager with development and direction in the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance.
- Monitors display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensures that products are properly displayed and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Responsible for proper backroom inventory levels, prepares, maintains and tracks records to calculate gross monthly profits according to company guidelines.
- Assists the Store Manager with health, safety and sanitation issues in order to maintain a safe and clean work environment for employees and customers to ensure compliance with all OSHA requirements, other governmental regulations and company standards.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Forecasts, schedules, and monitors labor to be consistent with store sales and productivity guidelines and wage budgets; creates action plan to address cost control issues.
- Directs, oversees, and evaluates the training of all perishable department employees in order to reduce and control turnover, promote more efficient operations and to provide better control over labor costs.
- Develops and maintains communication with the other departments in the store in order to devise marketing plans which will help to meet the financial objectives of the store. Keeps Store Manager fully informed of these actions.
- Identifies areas in perishables and other departments in the store where improvements in customer service are required, then implements changes and procedures to address these needs.
- Maintains accurate department records on all important matters, including employee performance and discipline, sales plans, etc.
- At times may also perform duties of staff as required.
- Communicates sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results.
- Manages issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.