Title: Geologist Sr
Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Job Number: 00005409
Contribute. Grow. Lead…with Oxy! Looking for a challenge? Want to be part of a world class organization focused on excellence? Desire to achieve your true potential? Occidental Oil and Gas Corporation is continually pursuing its goal to be the best in the industry at what we do.
Occidental Petroleum Corporation is an international oil and gas exploration and production company with a subsidiary (OxyChem) that is a major North American chemical manufacturer. As one of the largest oil and gas companies in the U.S., we continually strive to be one of the best in the business. Our greatest asset has been, and will continue to be, our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geologist within our Permian CO2 group based in Houston, Texas.
The open position is an opportunity to work in a cross-functional team environment with other Geoscientists and Engineers constructing reservoir descriptions & models of mature waterflood and CO2 flood projects. Reservoir characterization studies will be used to recommend improvements in sweep efficiency through infill drilling, pattern conversions and conformance work. Role may also include optimization of existing CO2 flood projects; and the design of new and expanded CO2 flood projects. Specific responsibilities include: production geology support for active development drilling programs; and reservoir characterization projects for both classical production surveillance and dynamic flow simulation studies. Travel required is less than 10%.
- MS in geology
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience is expected, more than 10 years preferred.
- Proficient in Landmark workstation tools for mapping and cross section studies.
- Log interpretation skills with the ability to integrate hundreds of wells into a stratigraphic interpretation quickly and efficiently.
- Outcrop and core interpretation skills for lithofacies.
- Experienced building large 3D reservoir models by correlating well data into flow units.
- Ability to integrate 2d and 3d seismic interpretation data into geologic models.
- Ability to calculate OOIP volumetrics at both field and pattern level.
- Time management skills to personally plan work and execute large studies – meeting goals within time constraints.
- Ability to make technically and economically sound recommendations with incomplete information.
- Larger field reservoir characterization with modern computer software approaches.
- CO2 Flood or Waterflood Experience
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills. Experience working in a cross-functional team environment.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Production geology experience with carbonate reservoirs (especially Permian Basin).
- Understanding of seismic data
- Experience with geostatistical reservoir modeling software & techniques (e.g., Petrel, RC2, GoCad, Beicip, RC2, IRAP/RMS, GSLIB etc.)
- Software skills: Landmark's OpenWorks, StratWorks, SeisWorks andGeoGraphiz
- 10 years of geological work experience.