Medical Social Worker II
Department: Care Management
Schedule: Per diem
Hours: zero hour
- Master's Degree
- SUMMARY: The Care Management Department Social Worker at St. Agnes Hospital participates as an integral member of the Care Management Department, which includes the Physician Advisor, RN Care Managers, and support staff. Their focus is the patient's social, financial, and discharge planning needs in support of the achievement of departmental and hospital quality and fiscal outcomes. Social Work cases are managed on a referral basis, both formal with a written order and informal as identified by the Social Worker themselves or from a member of the healthcare team. Referral sources include the RN Care Manager, the Physician, and/or the Clinical Staff, the patient/family and/or outside agencies (referrals reasons are as defined in the scope of this role description). The St. Agnes Hospital Social Worker possesses excellent interpersonal skills, is team-oriented, and works efficiently to effect favorable patient satisfaction and discharge outcomes.
'Practice Social Work ' means: to apply theories, knowledge, procedures, methods or ethics derived from formal educational program in social work to restore and enhance social functioning of individuals, couples and families.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
Master's Degree in Social Work from CSWE approved School of Social Work.
Required License, Certification and/or Registration: Licensure as LGSW by the State of Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners.
Preferred License, Certification and/or Registration: N/A
Minimum of one (1) years' experience in an acute care health setting or related employment. Those individuals with experience in a non-medical setting may be considered for a position at the discretion of the Social Work Team Manager or Care Management Director.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience in an acute care health setting.
- Knowledge of clinical, legal, financial and general admission requirements for transfer to post acute care.
- Knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid coverage for post acute care services.
- Knowledge regarding Advanced Directives, competency and guardianship.
- Knowledge about child and adult abuse and neglect dynamics and reporting requirements as well as the ability to assess and report accurately and implement safe and appropriate discharges.
- Knowledge of psychosocial and legal issues related to domestic violence as well as community resources available to assist victims.
- Knowledge of community resources, especially those for substance abuse treatment and homelessness.
- Knowledge necessary to understand the patient's plan of care.
- Awareness of cultural issues and how it may impact patient interaction within the health care system.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Supervision received from: Social Work Team Leader and/or an LCSW/ LCSW-C..three (3) hours a month. If they employee is pursuing licensure at the LCSW, or LCSW-C, level they will need additional hours and experience per the Board of Social Work requirements.