Team Leader - HYCA (at risk youth/ quasi military)
Location: Knightstown, IN
The mission of the Hoosier Youth ChalleNGe Academy (HYCA) is to intervene in and reclaim the lives of at-risk youth to produce program graduates with the values, skills, education and self-discipline necessary to succeed as adults. This program provides military based training, including supervised work experience in community service and conservation programs, to civilian youth who cease to attend secondary school before graduating so as to improve their life skills and employment potential.
Information concerning the National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Programcanbe found at:www.ngycp.org/in
Team Leaders are assigned to a Team of Cadets, whom they work with the majority of their shifts. The Team Leader is the direct supervisor of the Cadets and is primarily responsible for Cadet accountability, discipline and safety; enforcement of Academy rules and policies; instruction of drill and ceremony; physical-fitness training; movement of Cadets according to the training schedule; completing administrative reports; and, providing assistance in tutoring of academics.
Acting as a positive role model Team Leaders also play an important role in ensuring cadet completion of the 8-core objectives, (Academic Excellence, Physical Fitness, Job Skills, Leadership/Followership, Responsible Citizenship, Service to Community, Health & Hygiene, and Life Coping Skills). Teaching the Cadets life-skills through: positive mentoring; leading by example; providing counseling; teaching basic social skills; enforcing standards; helping to build self-confidence and problem solving abilities; developing leadership and teamwork skills; and, providing instruction/facilitation of Challenge tasks.
- Minimum age of 21
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Availableto work a flexible schedule
- Military service experience (2-3 Years in leadership positions)
- Graduation from an accredited two or four-year college or university with major coursework in Criminal Justice or a related field
- Work experience in individual or group counseling
- Experience working with high school aged at-risk and/or special needs youth preferred
- Work experience, paid or volunteer, teaching or coaching group activities for youth ages 16 -18
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) will be required within first 90 days of employment.
- First Aid and CPR certification required or ability to obtain such certificate The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans and accrued leave. The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.