Johns Hopkins Healthcare
|Industry:||Healthcare / Health Services|
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, formerly known as Francis Scott Key Medical Center, is a hospital and medical office center in East Baltimore. It is located along Eastern Avenue near Bayview Boulevard. The hospital is part of the Johns Hopkins Health System, and includes the Hopkins Burn Center, which is the only burn trauma and surgical facility in the Baltimore area. Founded in 1773, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center has a long, distinguished history of service and medical excellence. It is one of the oldest, continuous health care institutions on the East Coast. From its inception as an almshouse, it evolved as an asylum and, eventually, a municipal hospital. In 1984, the city of Baltimore transferred ownership of the hospital to The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Johns Hopkins University. Johns Hopkins Bayview has more than 700 beds and is home to one of Maryland's most comprehensive neonatal intensive care units, a sleep disorders center, an area-wide trauma center, the state's only regional burn center and a wide variety of nationally recognized post-acute care and geriatrics programs.