Haynes Furniture has evolved through entrepreneurial innovation and a commitment to the people of Virginia. In 1930, Ellis Strelitz purchased a small furniture store in Norfolk from L.D. Haynes. Joined by his son and his younger brother, Mr. Strelitz set out to build Virginia's biggest furniture store and to revolutionize the furniture industry. In the late 1950's, the Strelitz brothers, now President and Executive Vice President of Haynes Furniture, moved the business to downtown Norfolk, and also acquired a small furniture store in Suffolk which became the second branch of Haynes Furniture.